Are you constantly envious of those who present immaculately wrapped gifts that make your slightly wonky attempts look sub standard? We’re here to help you master the art of gift-wrapping, to wow your friends and family with your beautifully wrapped gifts.
Gift-giving is a timeless way to express love and appreciation to our nearest and dearest. A beautifully wrapped gift not only shows that you care, but it also adds to the anticipation and excitement for the recipient.
Whether it's for a birthday, holiday, or special occasion, here are 8 tips to help you master the art of gift wrapping, making your presents stand out.
1. Stock up on gifting supplies
If you want to be known for your picture-perfect presents, you’ll need to have a good supply of wrapping essentials to hand, for any occasion. Make sure you never run short of the following items:
Wrapping paper. Choose a high-quality wrapping paper with interesting patterns or designs. Think about using recycled or eco-friendly options to keep your gifts green.
Scissors. Sharp scissors make precise cuts and will ensure clean edges on your wrapping paper.
Tape. Clear double-sided tape or regular adhesive tape.
Ribbon or twine. Select decorative ribbons or twine to add an extra layer of elegance to your gift.
Gift tags or labels. A personalised tag or label adds a thoughtful touch and helps identify the recipient. This is a great way to reuse any old Christmas or birthday cards, cutting out the pictures to create unique tags.
2. Protect delicate gifts with padding
Don't forget to provide proper padding for your gift to ensure it stays protected during transit and handling. You may choose to roll or wrap your gift before applying a layer of wrapping paper. Alternatively, you could find an appropriate size box and fill this with soft filling, before nestling your gift inside.
We may be biased, but we’d recommend our wool wrap as the perfect way to keep precious items safe and protected. The wrap is made from 100% British sheep wool and designed to replace single-use plastic packaging such as bubble wrap.
Alternatively, if you are putting your item in a box, you can use our luxury wool filler material to pad the box with style.
The goal is to ensure that your carefully wrapped present arrives in pristine condition, as well as adding an extra layer of anticipation and delight for the recipient when they finally open it.
3. Attention to detail when cutting and folding
The key to neatly wrapped gifts is precise measuring and cutting.
- Lay the gift on the wrapping paper, and ensure you have enough paper to cover it completely.
- Aim for an extra inch or two on each side to allow for folding and overlapping.
- Trim any excess paper to avoid bulky edges that can be challenging to tape down.
To achieve clean and crisp folds, follow these steps:
- Fold the paper in half, either lengthwise or width-wise depending on the size and shape of your gift.
- Crease the folded edge firmly to create a sharp, defined line.
- Unfold the paper and place your gift in the centre, aligning it with the crease.
- Fold one side of the paper over the gift and secure it with tape.
- Repeat the process on the other side, ensuring the edges meet neatly in the centre.
4. Add some flourishes
Now comes the fun part. Make your gift more special with decorative elements like ribbons, twine, or bows. Here's how to do it:
- Wrap the ribbon or twine around the gift and tie it into a bow or knot. You can create a classic bow or explore various ribbon-tying techniques for a unique look.
- Attach a gift tag or label with a heartfelt message or the recipient's name.
- Consider adding small ornaments, dried flowers, or a sprig of greenery to make your gift even more special.
5. Personalise Your Present
Once you have the basics nailed, why not take your gift wrapping to the next level by personalising it for the recipient?
Think about their favourite colours, hobbies, or interests when selecting wrapping paper and decorative elements. You can also create custom gift tags or labels using craft supplies or online templates.
These sorts of personal touches will show that you put thought into the presentation.
6. Chose unique wrapping materials
We’ve already talked about choosing your wrapping paper with sustainability in mind, but what does that mean? Other than looking out for eco-friendly wrapping paper in the shops, here are some more sustainable ideas to make your gift-wrapping truly unique:
Instead of traditional paper, experiment with fabric wraps. Consider using a beautiful scarf, a square of fabric from your scrap drawer, or a vintage handkerchief to encase your gift. Not only does this add an elegant touch, but the fabric can also be reused by the receiver - an even more green result.
Maps or Sheet Music
Give your gift a vintage and unique look by wrapping it in old maps or sheet music. Scour your local second-hand shops for old magazines, music or maps that can add something extra to your gift wrap. If you’re buying for someone who loves travel or music, or has a favourite comic, this could be a great way to personalise your gift too.
For a rustic and eco-friendly twist, ditch the traditional ribbon and incorporate natural elements into your gift wrapping instead. Use twigs, pinecones, or dried flowers as decorations.
7. Create a custom gift bag
Sometimes, an odd-shaped gift can be hard to wrap neatly and is best placed in a custom-made gift bag. You could repurpose an old paper bag, or make your own from scratch from either paper or fabric. Paint a picture on the bag, or decorate with ribbons, bows, or personalised touches.
8. Create a Puzzle or Origami Gift Wrap
And if all that is not exciting enough for you, you could try your hand at creating a puzzle or origami gift wrap, to make the gift-opening experience memorable.
- Hide small clues or riddles within the wrapping, leading the recipient on a fun and interactive treasure hunt.
- Fold the wrapping paper into origami shapes or animals for a creative touch. Use string to hold shapes in place.
- Buy some nesting boxes of varying sizes to gradually reveal the gift. As the recipient opens each box, they'll experience a sense of anticipation and excitement, culminating in the grand reveal of the gift at the centre.
Create sustainable gift-wrapping sensations
Gift wrapping is more than just concealing a present; it's an opportunity to express creativity and thoughtfulness. Take time to think through your gift-wrapping approach, in particular the materials you use, to transform your gifts into works of art that convey your love and appreciation.
So, the next time you have a gift to give, you can watch as your beautifully presented present brings joy to your loved-ones.